All of us in one way or another use the numerous possibilities of the Internet: e-mail, online stores, virtual money and much more. Unfortunately, any benefits give rise to new crimes, to ensure that these benefits are taken away from their rightful owner.
There is a very unpleasant phenomenon in the Global Network, such as phishing.
The principle of phishing is quite simple and there are practically no variations in it. A site-clone of any payment system, postal service or bank is created. As a rule, not even the whole site, but only its page with authorization. Usually, the site is hosted on a domain similar to the domain of the original site. For example: yandex.ru and yanbex.ru
After that, a massive SPAM mailing of the following content is made:
“Hello! You are disturbed by the First International Bank of Novuryupinsk. Unfortunately, our system administrator flew to Sochi and took with him a 3.5 diskette with a single copy of our main database. Therefore, please go to www.urupinskbank1.com/phising.php and Log in. “
Naturally, after you enter your details on such a page, they will immediately go to the phishing scammers and, believe me, they will definitely take advantage of them.
You can protect your mail, money, personal data and much more by following simple principles:
If you received a message by e-mail
1. Receiving a letter from your payment system / support service of your postal / bank, etc. With similar content, first of all make sure that it is really sent from the real address, it can be easily done by viewing the headers. Note that if the sender has an address in the field, this does not mean that the letter was also sent from him.
2. Pay attention to the writing style. Not a single serious organization will allow itself to have a non-business tone, and even more so, no mistakes in the text.
3. And most importantly – the situation described in the example, in principle, cannot happen, of course. Those. Anything can happen, but as a rule, the service provider finds a way out for himself and does not disgrace himself in front of his clients. So, if you still have reason to trust the message, do not be lazy to call / write and clarify.
4. It is necessary to treat a very big precaution and to e-mail with offers to buy something with a big discount through the Internet. Let’s talk about this further.
If you are shopping in an electronic store
1. Try to shop only in trusted stores that you trust. In self-respecting online store you can always call, and often even come in person.
2. If the payment in the store is done with a credit card, make sure that you are really on the store page and the protocol by which the data is transmitted is encrypted (in the address bar, the address will be written via //) In addition, usually all online stores accepting credit cards are connected to specials. gateways, for example 2checkout.com, paypal.com or assist.ru in Russia, and do not accept payment directly.
3. If you pay for the purchase through the electronic payment system – do not make transfers directly to the seller’s wallet. Reception of money should be carried out through the automated web interface of the payment system.
4. Turning on the banner with advertising super discounts to the site of a store you have known for a long time, make sure that this is really his site.
How to avoid becoming a victim of phishing, while surfing the Internet
Fortunately, at the moment, in such popular browsers in Russia as Opera and Firefox there is a built-in function of protection against fraud. By turning it on, you will be able to distinguish a real site from a clone with almost 100% confidence. But do not forget that this function consumes a sufficiently large amount of traffic.